Перейти к содержимому
Форум варганистов
Northern Myotis

Improvisation vs. Scripted?

Hello All,

Перевод Google, чтобы следовать ...

As I start learning the Jaw Harp I’m listening to various artists for inspiration on how and what to play. I’m noticing that many (maybe most) Jaw Harp songs don’t follow a clear verse/refrain structure. This includes not only amateur YouTube videos but also published albums. Does this indicate that most Jaw Harp play is partially (or completely) improvised? Or are long, complex and non-patterned play memorized and reproduced accurately each time? Thanks!

Когда я начинаю изучать арфу, я слушаю различных исполнителей, чтобы узнать, как и на чем играть. Я замечаю, что многие (возможно, большинство) песен Jaw Harp не имеют четкой структуры куплет / припев. Сюда входят не только любительские видео на YouTube, но и опубликованные альбомы. Означает ли это, что большая часть игры Jaw Harp частично (или полностью) импровизирована? Или долгая, сложная и беспорядочная пьеса каждый раз запоминается и точно воспроизводится? Спасибо!

Поделиться сообщением

Due to total oblivion of JH in a last 200 years most modern playing is amateur, including "albums". This is not because jaw harp should be played randomly but because people dont have knowledge about rhythm, melody, structure and so on. Dont think about "jaw harp rules", make your music piece first and make it hearable using jaw harp second.

• Upvote 1

Поделиться сообщением

Hi,

Цитата

I’m noticing that many (maybe most) Jaw Harp songs don’t follow a clear verse/refrain structure. This includes not only amateur YouTube videos but also published albums

1. Can you provide links to these albums please? I'd like to check them out.

2. Norwegian tunes have a clear traditional folk music structure :) 

p.s. https://clubvarganistov.bandcamp.com/

• Upvote 1

Поделиться сообщением

11 hours ago, vtl said:

Hi,

1. Can you provide links to these albums please? I'd like to check them out.

2. Norwegian tunes have a clear traditional folk music structure :) 

p.s. https://clubvarganistov.bandcamp.com/

For example, I’m listening to Sigurd Brooke  on Spotify. A few of his songs are patterned (like Bansull) and are more accessible to learning. Most don’t seem to be. I believe Sigurd is Norwegian. 

It’s also possible patterns exist and they’re just not obvious to my untrained ear. 

Thanks for the link! :-)

Поделиться сообщением

16 hours ago, 0leg said:

Due to total oblivion of JH in a last 200 years most modern playing is amateur, including "albums". This is not because jaw harp should be played randomly but because people dont have knowledge about rhythm, melody, structure and so on. Dont think about "jaw harp rules", make your music piece first and make it hearable using jaw harp second.

One of the things I’m learning about this humble instrument is that it’s as much a state of mind as it is a practice. Refreshing. Thanks for the helpful reply!

Поделиться сообщением

5 часов назад, Northern Myotis сказал:

For example, I’m listening to Sigurd Brooke  on Spotify. A few of his songs are patterned (like Bansull) and are more accessible to learning. Most don’t seem to be. I believe Sigurd is Norwegian. 

It’s also possible patterns exist and they’re just not obvious to my untrained ear. 

Thanks for the link! :-)

Yes, it could be about the complexity of traditional music.

I believe there was an interview with him on jewsharper youtube channel where some details on this type of music may be told. In short, Sigurd has very distinctive style and he plays in a way these tunes should be played - they have solid tradition in Setesdal and his relatives were well-known musicians. By the way, Bånsull is a lullaby, so basically he plays a tuned that can be sung in original. It just can be more easier to listen to it and catch the flow in comparison to others but it also improvised in the same way as the other tunes - they tend not to repeat the phrases and vary the melody by some unwritten rules. I also think you heard some 3-step gangars on the CDs which have complex timing like 'Bestlanden'. Still there are hardingfele versions of it and you may try to compare them by ear - they have the same structure and 'song' inside. Actually, there're even more complex music in other regions exists and they're able to play it on munnharpe. Finally, as a person who tries to learn it in-home on amateur level I'd say it's possible to do this in some degree.

btw the latest festival was conducted online so there're fresh enough recordings on youtube where different pro musicians plays this kind of music. 

Поделиться сообщением

16 hours ago, vtl said:

By the way, Bånsull is a lullaby, so basically he plays a tuned that can be sung in original.

A lullaby! :-S

...but I picked up the harp to learn techno ...where have I gone wrong?! Haha ;-)

• Upvote 2

Поделиться сообщением

I’m listening to Sigurd Brooke  on Spotify. A few of his songs are patterned (like Bansull) and are more accessible to learning. Most don’t seem to be. I believe Sigurd is Norwegian. 

Поделиться сообщением

This video should be quite relevant 

p.s. Bansull is a lullaby, so it was recomposed to jaw harp from a song. This song tradition is a part of UNESCO now.

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас